Forum Style

Disability after transplant

I am just wondering if it is common for transplant recipients to apply for disability?  I am 3 months post transplant and am not currently receiving any income.  I have seen online that transplant patients can apply for SSI/Disability for a year after transplant.  Does anyone have experience with this?  I was a liver recipient.

Thanks, 

Kathy

You need to be a member of TransplantFriends.com to add comments!

Join TransplantFriends.com

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I started receiving my SS disability before I got my lung transplant. It depends upon what your medical records say and what the Doctors at SS say.

• If your doctor agrees you cannot work, then you can apply!  It takes 5 months from the time your application is approved to begin receiving benefits. 
    I went on disability when my first kidney transplant began to fail and I am still not able to work after my 2nd transplant.
    good luck!

• My transplant Dr. said they would not sign off on disability.
    • That is really unheard of. Are you talking about soon after transplant or after few a long time (like 1-2 yrs). I went on my disability 3 weeks before my transplant and returned to work (from home at the beginning) after 10 weeks on disability leave. 

• Hi Kathy,

All Tx recipients are eligible for three years of SSDI benefits.  The amount is based on your best 15 quarters of employment.  You can apply on line and when approved you will receive payments monthly.  Your Tx social worker can help you with the proper paperwork to begin.  I would not wait, as benefits begin when you apply, not when you became eligible.

• This reply was deleted.
  • Hi Kathy,

I think you can apply for this. I had applied through my employer. Also, your transplant center's social worker should be able to help you with application and submitting it. 

This reply was deleted.

Transplant Stories

Members Stories

If you would like your stories posted on this page please email transplantbuddies@gmail.com

Transplant News

Transplant News

Twitter

COTA

Purolator Air Filters

Looking for My Kidney Hero

My dear Friend Susy - a double lung transplant survivor is in need of a Kidney Angel (O positive blood type).  If you can be Susy's Hero- contact her at susygar@aol.com Thank You So Much!

Thank You

Each month, it costs $60.00 to operate TransplantFriends.com We greatly appreciate your support.

Facebook & instagram

Latest Activity

Frank longiotti replied to Lizzie Groenweghe's discussion Dr. Reddy's tacrolimus safe?
2 hours ago
DAP1122 (Don) posted a blog post
9 hours ago
More…

Lung Transplant Foundation

Contact Us