Forum Style

Weight gain for donor

Hi,

I received my new kidney from my Mother 3.5 months back.My mother is doing good except for extra fat put on around the abdomen. She walk and does daily chores (like she used to do before the surgery), but is still now able to control the weight gain. Diet is almost the same as pre-surgery, infact more healthier post-surgery. Any suggestions as to how to handle this?

You need to be a member of TransplantFriends.com to add comments!

Join TransplantFriends.com

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Rushi,

A study has shown approximately 25 % of kidney donors gain some weight post surgery.  It is unclear if reduced movement or metabolic syndrome are involved.   I would ask if your Mom is on any new medications post surgery, as some blood pressure meds also lower the metabolism of those who take them and this may be contributory.  A more extensive study needs to be done.  I placed a link below about this.  Whatever the cause, I hope you both are well.

KB(Norm)

NCBI info

Corporeal weight gain and metabolic syndrome in living kidney donors after nephrectomy. - PubMed -…
    Transplant Proc. 2007 Mar;39(2):403-6.
    • Hi Kidneyboy,

Yes, we both are doing great. Thanks for sharing this. She is not on any medications currently. She was on pain killers for couple of weeks post surgery, just that. When we had asked our surgeon about 1 month post-surgery, he had mentioned that since there is a big cut in the abdomen, the body's self defense mechanism kicks in and add extra fat as protection. We were thinking this should reduce as she is further out post surgery. 

Corporeal weight gain and metabolic syndrome in living kidney donors after nephrectomy. - PubMed -…
      • Also, her latest lab result were all normal. No BP or sugar issues. Creatinine is stable at 0.95. 

• Or is it just temporary and will come under control with time? Anyone who has some experience on this?

This reply was deleted.

Transplant Stories

Members Stories

If you would like your stories posted on this page please email transplantbuddies@gmail.com

Transplant News

Transplant News

Twitter

COTA

Purolator Air Filters

Looking for My Kidney Hero

My dear Friend Susy - a double lung transplant survivor is in need of a Kidney Angel (O positive blood type).  If you can be Susy's Hero- contact her at susygar@aol.com Thank You So Much!

Thank You

Each month, it costs $60.00 to operate TransplantFriends.com We greatly appreciate your support.

Facebook & instagram

Latest Activity

Jonathan Cook left a comment for Jonathan Cook
6 hours ago
Jonathan Cook left a comment for Jonathan Cook
7 hours ago
Nataraj Venugopal, Angel Messmer and Jonathan Cook joined TransplantFriends.com
9 hours ago
Willie Potgieter left a comment for Jimmy Barry Hodges
10 hours ago
Susie Schneider left a comment on Kidney Transplants
17 hours ago
Angel Messmer left a comment on Caregivers Rock!
17 hours ago
DAP1122 (Don) posted a blog post
17 hours ago
Ram Shrama and Festa Nyeme are now friends
yesterday
More…

Lung Transplant Foundation

Contact Us