Forum Style

Where were you when you got the call?

Out of curiosity, for those of you who have received your transplant already, do you remember where you were when you got the call? What was your score on the list? What emotions passed through your head?I got the call while I was at home getting ready for church. My mom came in to tell me that there was a liver ready and we needed to leave immediately. It was a terrifying, exciting experience. I was only a score of 25 at the time. For my second liver that I received 6 days later I was a status 1A and I was in ICU close to death. I don't remember any emotions at that point because my brain was foggy.

You need to be a member of TransplantFriends.com to add comments!

Join TransplantFriends.com

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It was on a Saturday morning June 15th 2013 I was in bed at 8:30 am.  I was on the list for only eight days. My thoughts were that's my week-end disrupted (only joking) . By 15:00 I was in the theater .

• I give this for thought after, reading "kidneyboys" post.
    Last week I visited my doctor at IU hospital. I had some time in the afternoon so I went to the transplant unit. I talked to the nurse in charge and ask if they had a mentor group of post transplant patients with the desire to chat with pre-transplant patients just to get them some courage. I cannot believe how rude I was treated. Now, I know, I was a nurse for 30 years. I understand the aspects of HIPPA! However, I don't understand how anyone could turn away positive influence on such a negative situation. I have said all along when you are a pre-patient You are treated like gold. When you are a post patient, "if it ain't broke we ain't going to fix it". Hope you understand my frustration. I just wanted to pass out some positive vibes.
    • Tx nurses are usually so maxed out when on duty, there is little time to for anything else.  Perhaps it might have been better received speaking to the Tx social worker.  Most centers have one as part of the Tx team.

• Well, the day I was there, there were 5 nurses at the desk "chatting". I did go to the Social Worker. She was nice however, I got the same message, "Thanks, but no thanks".
        • Well, we are glad to have you with us to help and support others.  Nothing is more welcome than advice from those, who live the Tx life everyday!

• "Getting the call" is the one aspect of transplant life I will never forget nor fully understand.  When organs become available, who receives it and why has always had a bit of "smoke & mirrors" feel about it.  I penned a discussion about this years ago, I see little has changed, see if you think my thoughts are still viable.

Never Ready! 

Never Ready
    Never Ready   Totally unprepared, there is no rehearsal or training for this.  Dry runs and false starts are of little help.  Networking with friends…
  • I was in hospital and was very sick when they told me that the only option left was a liver transplant. They induced me into a coma and I was on live support. The doctors then told my wife that they need to prepare me for a liver transplant. She can see me for a short while. She then went home and at about midnight the doctor phoned my wife and said the surgery was completed. He told her that I was still in critical condition. Three days later this new liver died. They did not expect that I will make it but then they told my wife that they have another liver. Only after they brought me back out of the coma I realised that I had the liver transplant already. I am grateful for my new life again. 

• I was in a hospital bed.  I'd been there about 4-hoiurs.  Doc came into the room at about 10pm, and says they have an "offer" for me.  I had to ask what was an "offer" and how much would it cost.  She cocked her head and tried to figure it out. Then it hit I did not know she was talking about a liver!  Well, I had to think on it a minute, 'cause I really did NOT want a transplant and I felt just fine.  But the docs said I needed it so accpted it.  

6-hours later I was in surgery.  

• Wow!! I am the same way. I had a preemptive transplant, thankfully. The doctors kept telling me that I was really sick, but I didn't feel it at all. I didn't truly believe that I needed a transplant. However, after my first one my surgeon said he was very glad they took it out when they did because it looked really bad... yet no symptoms!!! We are blessed not to have had the horrible symptoms.

• That's amazing. I didn't feel sick either, even while on the list. After surgery, the doctor told my family that my liver was basically dead. God was carrying me until they found me a new liver. Just amazing!
This reply was deleted.

Transplant Stories

Members Stories

Transplant News

Transplant News

Twitter

COTA

Purolator Air Filters

Thank You

Each month, it costs $60.00 to operate TransplantFriends.com We greatly appreciate your support.

Facebook & instagram

Planetary Biosciences for Cystic Fibrosis

Looking for My Kidney Hero

My dear Friend Susy - a double lung transplant survivor is in need of a Kidney Angel (O positive blood type).  If you can be Susy's Hero- contact her at susygar@aol.com Thank You So Much!

Latest Activity

Thomas Linstead and Willie Potgieter are now friends
9 hours ago
Willie Potgieter left a comment for allison zwick
10 hours ago
Willie Potgieter left a comment for LouisaMeyer
10 hours ago
Willie Potgieter left a comment for Thomas Linstead
10 hours ago
Olga, Ahmed and allison zwick joined TransplantFriends.com
10 hours ago
Kidneyboy and Ann Marie Cerrone are now friends
10 hours ago
Kidneyboy commented on Ann Marie Cerrone's blog post eating.
10 hours ago
DAP1122 (Don) posted a blog post
10 hours ago
More…

Lung Transplant Foundation

Contact Us